Looking for a new event staffing partner? Request a proposal!

January 21, 2014

#TalentTipTuesday: Employer ID Numbers (EINs)

What is an EIN?

  • An Employer Identification Number (EIN) is also known as a Federal Tax Identification Number, Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN), Tax Identification Number TIN or Tax ID.
  • This is an identifying number that the Government assigns to an entity to identify the business.
  • The EIN is a 9 digit number (for example, 12-3456789) assigned to sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, estates, trusts, and other entities for tax filing and reporting purposes.

It is HYPE’s policy to request Federal ID numbers (EIN) from all Independent Contractors participating in multi-state tours, or in states other than the state they are currently living in.

Being an Independent Contractor gives you the opportunity to be registered, for tax purposes, as a Sole Proprietor (owner of your own business).   As a Sole Proprietor, when filing your taxes, you may have the ability to deduct certain expenses related to your independent brand ambassador work, or any other type of independent work.

Check with your state and local agencies, or your tax advisor for further information on this if needed.

The IRS has made it simple and free to obtain an EIN; apply immediately and obtain your personal EIN.

Instead of giving out your Social Security Number for independent work, you can use your EIN.You will be able to work for HYPE in any state using your EIN.

Want to submit your EIN? Simply send an updated W-9 Form with your EIN, to We will update your records to remove your Social Security Number and replace it with your new EIN.