As college students headed back to school for the fall trimester, Target was the go-to place for all of their last-minute needs. Target’s goal for this program was to create a memorable experience for new students to form the next generation of loyal Target shoppers.
This year back to school shopping looked a little different for students though. Throughout the summer Americans were advised to stay home and only go out for essentials. Many students picked out their classroom tools and dorm decorations online utilizing Target’s Order Pick-Up and Drive-Up services to get their school shopping done. With these differences, Target will always have students back and are there to celebrate their college experiences.
Target decided to elevate the pickup experience by surprising and delighting students and their families during the week of move-in at 88 locations across the country. Shoppers received a branded tote bag including over 20 different essentials that a student could need from, pens and sticky notes to protein bars and travel size shampoo.
COVID safety guidelines
To keep staff and consumers safe, Hype! took additional measures including prevent and onsite safety guidelines.
- During interviews, staff were screened with additional questions including any symptoms of the infection, the ability to complete a home temperature check, and ability to wear PPE throughout the activation
- During a Zoom training call, health and sanitation guidelines were reviewed so all staff were aware of precautions to take onsite
- Staff signed a Wellness Waiver prior to arriving onsite stating they had not traveled or come in to contact with someone that tested positive for the virus
- The morning of each activation, the staff took their temperature at home and sent Hype! a verification photo showing their temperature was below 100.4
- The onsite staff were provided with branded cloth masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and cleaning wipes to keep a sanitized working space
- Staff were advised to wash their hands each hour as well as wipe down any high touch points and avoid touching personal items throughout the day
- Both consumers and staff kept at least 6 feet social distancing throughout the event
# of Locations: 88 unique stores throughout the country
# of staff: 210 total Brand Ambassadors and Team Leads
# of bags given out: 60,585 sample bags
Total Hours: 2,965 staff hours